Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Adeno-my-WHAT?

Note: this post might cause the members of the male species to squirm. so if you are a male, you might want to stop reading here.

now you can consider yourself warned.

O.k., If you're still reading now I am going to say words like Uterus and period.

see. I told you.

O.k., first off, I just want to say that I am thankful for my uterus. It's been the home to three children and for that I am grateful. Although it had some issues with each pregnancy (fibroids the size of eggs, more fibroids, removal of fibroids and some gnarly pain), it still did a great job at doing what it does.

Really, after three c-sections you can't blame the thing for having some problems. For goodness sakes it was cut open three times after growing three babies in less than five years. So with that, I've got to give it some major respect.

However, it's starting to rebel. big time. In the past six months during the end of my... ahem... period.... I am practically bed ridden and on heavy medicine. I have been hooked up to IV pain medicine and given shots for pain during two of these times. Finally, the diagnosis came: Adenomyosis.

Here's what the Mayo clinic had to say about it. Maybe I added a few things in as well....

Adenomyosis is a condition in which tissue that normally lines the uterus (endometrium) also grows within the muscular walls of the uterus (sweet. how in the world did that happen)? This is most likely to happen late in your childbearing years and after you've had children (what the heck, am I really that old)?

Adenomyosis isn't the same as endometriosis (sure isn't), although women with adenomyosis often also have endometriosis (maybe I do, maybe I don't. I'm not sure). The cause of adenomyosis remains unknown, but the disease typically disappears after menopause (sweet. something to look forward to). For women who experience severe discomfort from adenomyosis, there are treatments that can help (like tons of pain medication), but hysterectomy is the only cure (bummer since I've really become attached to my uterus.. even though it's painful. sometimes things we love cause us the most pain).

Although adenomyosis can be quite painful (AMEN to that), the condition is generally harmless (phew!).

women with adenomyosis may experience:

  • Severe cramping or sharp, knife-like pelvic pain during menstruation (dysmenorrhea). (holy smokes.. knife like is right and then some..)!

(Here's where it gets really good): Your uterus may increase to double or triple its normal size (you better believe it is) Although you might not know if your uterus is enlarged, you may notice that your lower abdomen (no questions here. it sure is) seems bigger or feels tender!! (so there you have it folks.... I need a t-shirt that says "no, I'm not expecting, but thank you for asking. I just have Adenomyosis.... look it up)!!!

Risk Factors:
Women who have had prior uterine surgery, such as a C-section (check. 3 times check.)or fibroid removal (check), are at greater risk of adenomyosis.

O.k., phew. Now that we have a better understanding of why on certain days of the month I answer the phone and sound like I am on drugs.... it's because I am.

So... with all of that said, my question is WHO else has Adenomyosis? And If you do can we talk?

*please note that I am a new woman now & feeling totally fine. Check back in 28 more days and that might be a different story. However, for the record there are a thousand other things that I can think of that can be worse, so bring on a few aches and pains... it's a simple price to pay for what I received in return.

18 comments:

Kim L. said...

Holy cow, woman! I am glad you finally have some answers...and a name for your pain. Not that makes it easier to bear. So sorry you have to go through that. Maybe you qualify for medical marijuana? Look into it, alright?\"/ Love ya!

Kenny said...

Wow! I wish I would have known sooner that you were going through all of that--not that I could have made it better in any way, but I would have tried! What can I do now??

Hess Fam said...

Friend. I can't handle this. What is your status now? Are you okay these days?

zuniga family said...

So sorry to hear that. Are you feeling okay? Do you need a sprinkles cupcake to cheer you up?

Sarah Hull said...

Friends, you're too kind. I am totally on the mend. as of yesterday I am a new woman! Thankfully I had Bryant home all weekend for when things got rough. But give me 28 more days and you might be getting a phone call!!!

Joanna said...

Goodness! You poor thing! I've never heard of such things but I sympathize greatly and hope you can get some comfort. :(

Jill said...

Sarah--if you were in pain Sunday, you sure do a great job of hiding it! Just a thought... what about taking the pill (birth control) continuously so you don't have periods at all? Might solve problems until you are ready to have another baby? Just an idea. Hope you can get some relief! We sure do go through a lot for these babies!

Nancy Smith... said...

Hey, Jill has an idea that's worth talking to Dr. S. about....and she's a nurse so she gets the picture.
And the ultrasound is.....when?????

Sarah Hull said...

Jill,
thank you for that advice. Actually, Sunday afternoon was when I started to feel a little more normal again. Which was such a blessing because we had such a nice time at your house. thanks again!

Emily said...

Good to know all around. I've also had 3 c-sections and fibriod removal and we're about the same age (early 30 something). Hummm!
Good to know.
Emily (friend of Court W. from high school)

Karen Xavier said...

Wow, you really are something... I do hope this adeno-something disappears soon. Thanks for letting us know bout this though, my mom suffers from something similar... will tell her to check with the doctor and find out if its this adeno thing. Well, take care... I love the way you write.
Karen (from India)

Michelle Y. said...

It was so good to talk to you last night. I could have talked to your for an hour more :) I hope you feel better. Thanks for being such a great friend.

Megan said...

My girl parts hurt after reading this! I strongly dislike girl problems! I am glad that they can give you drugs for it!

Ash and Christian said...

Ia s it bad that I secretly kind of (sort of) wish that I had this so I could have an excuse for my pooch that seems to never want to go away?

I mean, not REALLY because of the pain and all, but maybe just a small percentage.

So proud of you for letting everyone know about this. So proud.

Kellie said...

Wow, Sorry...! It's not TMI, don't worry. That's crazy pain, though! And each MONTH! I bet you dread it... Be sure to give us an update when there is one.

tessa said...

Wow, that sounds painful! So sorry. I hear you on the watch out when wearing high waisted shirts though. You might just get asked, "When's the baby due?" Uh, 2 yrs ago. This is just the leftovers; thanks for asking. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything:)

Melissa said...

I hope this cures itself before menopause! Sorry for the knife like pain. I have had the worst periods (knife like pain also and can hardly get out of bed once a month) since my second c-section-maybe I just found the cause! Thanks for sharing.

Summers Family said...

So sorry to read about this Sarah. Wishing there was an easier cure. I will be praying for less pain next month!

Nicole