Their love story is different from the one you see in the movies.It is real.
They met in High School 68 years ago.
She was 17 when they married.
They honeymooned in Laguna Beach and then he was off to fight for our Country. The Land that he loves and honors (and taught us to do the same). He flew the famous B-26 bomber Flak Bait (which now hangs proudly in the Smithsonian), while she attended college and prayed for his safe return.
They wrote letter after letter.
Love Letters.
Finally, the the war ended and they were able to start their new lives together as husband and wife. They finished their college education, started their careers and their family.
I wish they could write a book on how to raise awesome children, because they did just that. They instilled in their children a strong value system. Each of their children have gone on to do remarkable things. Each of their children know how to serve. To Serve their God, their family and their community. As Grandma was raising children she was also raising money... for the Red Cross and Family services. Non-profit organizations that she is passionate about. Grandpa supported her endlessly and was always going to galas and dinners and auctions and parties and events all in the name of fundraising. I loved watching them support one another in whatever the effort was.
As the years went on their love seemed to grow deeper and stronger. It's hard to explain, but it's as if you can almost see it in their eyes when they look at each other.
When their children were younger each year they would pack up the station wagon and go on family trips to see historic land marks.
Once their children were out of the house, they took romantic trips all around the world.
Not too long ago grandma told me how important it is to travel together and experience the beauty that the world has to offer (I told her I had to first get over my fear of flying and she said I was crazy and to just "get over it" and grandpa probably bonked me on the head at the same time. it's his signature move)!
Recently, however, their galas and dinners and trips have slowed down. Grandma has not been feeling well for some time. Last week she was even in the hospital.
On Saturday my mom had been there all day and it was time for grandpa to come and visit in the evening. When Grandpa walked in the door that night he was dressed in his nicest slacks, collared shirt and sweater. He always dresses real nice, but on this night it just seemed like there was an even extra effort.
My mom looked at him almost shocked that he would look so nice just to come to the hospital, and said "Daddy (that's what my 56-year old mom still calls her dad after all these years) you look so nice. Why are you so dressed up?"And here it comes.... the one line that I never want to forget....
"I got dressed up because I'm here to see my sweet heart."
When my mom called to tell me this story, that's when I lost it.
After 65+ years, he still dresses up to see his one true love.
It's a love that is rare these days. A love that more people need in their life. A love that grows stronger each year. From what I have gathered by watching them it comes from putting the other spouse first. Doing small and simple things to show you care. weekly dates and weekends away. attending church each Sunday and praying together. It comes from not sweating the small stuff and respecting one another. I love how my grandma would talk about my grandpa to me (as if he couldn't hear... but he was in the same room), She would say things like "oh my goodness, he is just too cute. look how cute he is." Or "doesn't grandpa look so handsome tonight?" Oh, how I Love that!
I am indeed grateful for their endless example of love and charity. I am grateful that they taught their children & grandchildren how to love and how to have a successful marriage. One day I hope to compile a book of their love letters from the war so that my children and grandchildren can also benefit from this real life love story.




10 comments:
tears. tears. more tears.
So sweet. It reminds me of my grandparents and the look on my grandma's face when we would be visiting and she realized it was her husband she was sitting with (alzheimers). And four years later my grandpa is dying of cancer and doesn't have her there with him. So sad. Thanks for sharing your story.
Love. This. Post.
What a great story. Your family is very blessed. Thank you for sharing.
Nicole
So sweet! I got teary eyed reading it. What a wonderful example they are! I hope your grandma gets feeling better soon.
What a BEAUTIFUL love story they have!! I'm crying my eyes out. Compiling their love notes would be so special for your posterity!
Love this. What a great story. I LOVE that he still dresses up - what chivalry.
Have Diane tell you sometime about her aunt and uncle, Smith and Sarah Shumway (you may have heard of Uncle Smith, he got blinded in WWII). Amazing love story too with tons of letters that we do have bound in a book.
How Sweet! What great examples!
I've got tears in my eyes!!!!!!!! What a beautiful couple they are!!!
i WASN'T PLANNING ON CRYING RIGHT NOW!!! TOO CUTE!
Post a Comment