Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Conference Morning Brunch

This weekend was General Conference. The older I get the more I thirst for this weekend that comes twice a year. I feel like I just drink it up and it fills my soul.  You do not have to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka, Mormon) to listen and to feel of this goodness. I feel like anything beautiful and good is worth sharing. I have been very touched from talks and stories and experiences shared by those of other faiths and love the feelings they bring. That is why I love to share because I love to receive these same feelings. 
The talk by Elder Hales really touched me and the ending of the talk made me think about the warrior mothers that I know and love. Also, you know those days when you sometimes feel so small in this great big world (maybe it's just me)? Well, then I listened to Elder Uchtdorf's talk and whoa, I felt like he spoke right to me. I have had his talk on my mind the last few days and had some really special experiences as I have pondered and reflected on his words. 

So, because we can watch Conference at home via cable, we can stay in our cozy clothes (another reason to love conference weekend) and we can.....
EAT. 
Between the morning and afternoon session of conference we had a few friends over for a little brunch. 
 I found a new breakfast casserole recipe and then tweaked it a little to make it my own and now I am obsessed with it. I am thinking it will become a Conference weekend tradition.
Here is how it went down:

5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 c. chopped green onions 
1 bag frozen hash brown potato 
1 1/4 c. chopped, cooked ham
3/4 c. milk
a little sour cream and a little butter (Bryant threw some butter in there after watching one too many episodes of Pioneer Woman, who lovingly adds butter to everything)!
1 tsp. salt
1tsp. pepper
Paprika
Combine all ingredients except paprika and pour into 8x13 pan. Sprinkle top with paprika.
    Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
    

 And what's a brunch without a little fruit and fruit dip??
I have shared this fruit dip recipe like a hundred times on this blog, but here it is again just in case:
1 tub cool whip
1 regular size strawberry cream cheese container
1 red raspberry yoplait yogurt
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
mix. cool. enjoy.

Only six more months until we can do this all again.
Can't wait!

2 comments:

annies home said...

I believe this would make it a great conferance food nurishes the brain come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Kenny said...

Wasn't this weekend wonderful? We actually watched most of Sunday all together as a family for the first time. The kids each got a special word to listen for (i.e. temple and Holy Ghost) and every time they heard their word they got a piece of candy. It worked so great!