Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Disability Awareness Assembly/ Spina Bifida Awareness Month

I've put this post off for a few days hoping that I could come up with the right words to describe the Disability awareness assembly, but to no avail. I wish there was a way to express the feelings I felt that day. It was overwhelming. My heart felt like it was going to burst! The morning came together perfectly and the assembly went better than I had ever dreamed. Dr. R (our adaptive PE coach) made magic happen and it was incredible! 
(picture above:  Rancho athletes)

The event could not have happened with out Dr. R, Rancho Los Amigos Rehab center, Calf. Children's services, Nick Vujicic and the awesome teachers and staff at the school. A HUGE thank you to each and every one of them!
It was an incredible experience to meet Nick Vujicic
Born without limbs but not without heart. 

 What an honor it was to meet him and hear his stories. 

 This was a two hour two part assembly. The first part was the wheelchair sports demonstration. 
 Bryant got in a chair too and helped. 

 I love that Rancho is willing to come to each of the kids (that are involved in their wheelchair sports program) school and do these demonstrations. The greatest part is that they highlight the athlete so they can be the star of the show (this time it was Katie and another sweet boy in the program).
above: Katie showing off how her sports wheelchair can spin fast and do quick moves! The kids loved it!!  
 The guys from Rancho (Rob and Tyler who are both paralyzed, yet amazing athletes), Katie and Bryant all did a mock basketball game. 

 The kids got so into it. Especially when Rob and Tyler would crash into each other or purposely fall out of their chair (for effect)!
 THEN it was time to put some TEACHERS in chairs and get them involved in the fun!! (standing behind: Emi-our awesome physical therapist, who also came to help and brought her team and extra equipment for us to use, the famous Dr. R, my mom, bry, and Sandy all came to support) 
Katie's teacher was one of the participants. She was awesome and Katie LOVED it!!!
The teachers got into it and gave it their all! It was awesome!
Great Game!!!

 Next it was the students turn to get in a chair and try and make a basket!
 Almost everyone got a turn to try a wheelchair and get a feeling for what it might be like to have to use one. 
 While the group was waiting to go into the auditorium Tyler had them in awe with some of his cool tricks! 

From what I heard there are only 9 people in the world today who were born without limbs. D is one of them and we are so blessed to have him at our school. D was the reason (and the answer to the "how in the world did you get him to come?") Nick came to our school to speak to us. 
above D's family, D and Nick. 
 Our awesome principle introducing Nick to the kids
 The kids held on to every word he spoke. Nick was not only inspirational, but funny and a polished speaker. 

Such a special day with such special people!

I hope we can continue this tradition each year and continue to raise awareness. After the assembly was over Katie went back to class and her classmates all high fived her. Then at lunch they came and asked her more questions about wheelchair sports. Her peers saw her in a different light. 

My hope and prayer is that the students remember the feelings that they had at the assembly. That they remember that people with disabilities are just people like them who like to have fun, laugh, make friends and most importantly be loved. 

12 comments:

Summers Family said...

Oh Sarah, this looks so awesome. I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it with Ben and Belle. They both had stuffy noses and were still sleeping at 8 and I just didn't have it in me to wake them. I truly hope this will become an annual event and we will be able to attend next year. I'm so happy that Katie was able to shine even brighter than she usually does. What a special day for your whole family.

We really need to figure out a way to pull together the other LA and Orange County SB moms and do a coffee night. I know I could really use some time with those that understand me best. Maybe in the new year?

Hugs to you!

krousehouse said...

That is just an amazing, amazing opportunity. I just love your kids school, and love what you all were able to do with this assembly. Simply amazing.

Our family said...

Wow, simply amazing! Great post and what an awesome school. Katie is so beautiful :) like her mama!

Hess Fam said...

I have so many lumps in my throat. This is truly amazing.

Betsy said...

Chills chills chills... and I shared your "Holland" story with a girl in my ward yesterday. She's a warrier mom just like you!

Nancy Smith... said...

What a wonderful assembly. Loved being there! Thanks for your help with all of that. You inspire me!

Jill said...

That is FANTASTIC!! Oh, I hope something like that is possible when Kingsley is in school.

Joanna said...

Tears all over the place. I'm a mess! Oh dear friend - what a beautiful experience and you told it perfectly. I've seen youtube videos's with Nick before and he's amazing. What an honest-to-goodness angel. And to see our sweet Katie among it all adding to the strength and vitality of the assembly - just perfect. So beautiful. Thank you so much for all you do - you continually inspire and encourage us!

Erin said...

what a great day. I am so happy that katies school was so willing to do this. I love that the kids were involved and are learning about this. What a cool experience for all of people involved. xoxo

Melissa said...

What great experience for Katie and all the kids at her school. You are a rock star mom to put an assembly like this together!

sweet little sister said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!! I have seen Nick on youtube in the past too. He is incredible. I love how warm, funny and honest he is. He is breaking barriers and bringing kids- and all people closer together. I love that your school had such a WHOLE experience. I wasn't there but I *know* it must have moved them in mind body and soul.

A. Krause said...

What a great day for all! I caught one of Nick's videos on youtube, it was great and I was in tears, his story and positive attitude is so inspiring.