
We were on our final stretch, we could almost see our van in the parking lot.
That is when I heard the loud laughing right behind me. I am not sure why I came to the quick thought that maybe someone was laughing at Katie in the wheelchair, but I did. I turned around thinking I would see a little boy who maybe had some questions we could answer about wheelchairs and people that use them.
But, when I turned around, I was surprised to see a grown man and his Mother. Instantly, I was humbled and I would soon learn that I was the one who would be learning a lesson.
The man was still laughing and his Mother explained... "He loves orange cones and get's so excited when he sees them because he likes to jump over them!"
We had just walked by an orange cone.
In that moment I realized I was in the presence of some really beautiful and special people and I could not help but talk with them. They drew me in.
"Oh, you like Orange Cones?" I asked the man.
He started waving his hands and clapping yelling "YES! YES!"
I continued, "Did you have a fun day at Disneyland today?"
Again, more clapping and an even louder "YES!"
"What is your favorite ride?"
"JONES! JONES!!"
His mom chimed in, "No it's not! That used to be your favorite ride, but now it's Cars!"
Much more clapping and yelling "CARS, YAY, CARS!" With pure happiness and excitement!
I could almost see little bubble hearts bursting off around this man! His heart and his beautiful spirit were so big and so bright that my own heart felt like it was about to burst with love!.
I asked "What is your name?"
I thought he responded with "Mark," So I said, "Hi Mark, I'm Sarah, so nice to meet you."
"No! NO! NO!" Hands flying everywhere.
His Mother chimed in again with her angel voice, "I know, it really sounds like Mark when he says it, but it's actually Mike." Then she turned to him and in a soft voice said, "Mike, calm hands, calm body please."
I apologized, "Mike, I am so sorry I thought you said Mark. Hi Mike!"
He clapped for joy and once again that big huge smile returned and we high fived (I thought my hand was going to break as Mike was really strong)!
"Mike, how old are you?" I asked
"OLD! Thirty-eight. Ohhhh, OLD. OLD. OLD. SOOO OLD!"
I wanted to joke, "Hey, take it easy Mike, I am almost there in a couple of years!!" But our conversation quickly changed back to "Hi, Hi, Hi" which he liked to say every few seconds.
Our conversation went on like this until we reached our cars. Minutes earlier I could not wait to get in the car, turn the heater on and get home to my bed. Yet, I was not ready to say "Good-bye" I wished we had more time to talk. I wanted to take in more of what Mike and his sweet Mother had to offer. Those bursts of bubble hearts that seamed to fly off of them were infectious!
But all too soon, our conversation ended and we said our farewell.
The rest of the night, however, I could not stop thinking about Mike's mother.
"Thirty-eight" kept ringing in my ears.
For thirty-eight years I imagine this warrior mother has been by her son's side. Helping him and caring for him but mostly just loving him.
"Thirty-eight" kept ringing in my ears.
For thirty-eight years I imagine this warrior mother has been by her son's side. Helping him and caring for him but mostly just loving him.
I wondered about all the times she has had to explain to strangers about her Mike. How she probably prayed and hoped that others around him would just "get it" and not feel like she had to apologize. I wondered about how it was raising Mike and taking care of him now that he is a grown man.
I wondered about how many times she encountered situations with him where it felt like her mother heart was going to burst?
I wondered about how many times she encountered situations with him where it felt like her mother heart was going to burst?
How does she take care of that beautiful innocent boy who almost seems trapped in a strong mans body?
I am sure if I asked her, she would have responded like every other Warrior Mother would, "Because he is my son and I love him."
I am very thankful and humbled for that moment with Mike and his Warrior Mother. It was a beautiful moment for me as I saw a Mother's love at it's very best.
(above image via)




10 comments:
What a beautiful sweet interpretation of a moment in time. You have such a way of capturing them and sharing! you're
Such a gift to all that know you.
What a beautiful story Sarah! You definitely have a gift for writing and are a special person! What a great opportunity to meet another special spirit. Hopefully one day my boys and I will run into you at Disneyland or the boutique (so if you see some crazy lady with four boys coming up and greeting you remember it's just me...) :D Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for posting this... it helps to raise awareness to all of these great individuals in our community! You made me smile!
Sarah, this would be beautiful on Power of Moms for February--The Power of Love. Would you consider letting us repost?
I just love you.
xo
This is beautiful! Miss you.
o man sarah i should've read this before applying makeup really really sweet
I loved hearing this story the other morning and I love hearing it now. I have met so many "mikes" in my life and I feel blessed by each one.
What a great story. I was feeling a little worn out from my mothering "battle" today and this was just what I needed to hear. We do what we do because we're the mothers and we love them! :) Thanks for sharing your insight.
Natalie
As the mother of a nineteen year old with cerebral palsy, I am touched by your recognizing the beauty of Mike--and his amazing mother!
As the mother of a special needs 20 year old with multiple mental health disabilities, I am touched by your story. I wish that people saw me as your "warrior mom", but I think they just see a thoroughly worn out and exhausted mom who often forgets to use her indoor voice when speaking to her son! What a great learning experience for me. Thank you
Post a Comment