Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas love

On Friday for the advent calendar, we focused our activity on service. In the morning I told the girls that we would be visiting a home where elderly people live. I explained that some of these people don't have families who come and visit them. I told them that Christmas can be a lonely time for them and asked the girls if they wanted to help brighten their day. The girls seemed to comprehend what we were going to do and were excited about the visit. However, I was still not quite sure how they would really respond. When we arrived, the hallways were lined with people in wheelchairs. It was a little overwhelming, but Katie surprised me as she put her brave face on and wheeled up to each of them, talked to them and then handed them a candy cane. The lump in my throat was close to bursting. A few times I had to turn around because the tears were starting to flow. There were so many precious moments.We all left with our hearts full and a dedication to re visit again and again.

4 comments:

michelle said...

A couple things... I love that you brought the girls to do something like this. It's experiences like these that they'll remember. Oh, and that you handed out candy canes!

Second, I love that both Katie and Ella have their own style. I always like looking at what little girls wear and they always look adorable.

Merry, merry Christmas.

Heather said...

Oh how sweet!!! Is that the home that is right off the freeway in Seal Beach? I used to always feel that lump in my throat when i'd go visit with the elderly!

Anonymous said...

How great that they are introduced to "giving back" so early.
You are so impressive.

Nancy Smith... said...

It was indeed a special experience which we should soon repeat. Children bring such joy to those who don't have as much contact with them as we do. It is hearwarming.