Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, December 7, 2008

A New Tradition

I grew up with lots of fun holiday traditions. I love passing them on to my own little family. However, this year I really wanted to find a new tradition that we could call our own. At the end of November, I was still racking my brain trying to come up with something fun, creative & memorable. Then, I came across my darling friend Erin's blog & she had just the idea I was searching for. An interactive Advent Calendar! I thanked Erin for the idea and then modified it just a bit for our family.
Here's the run down: Each day the "advent calendar Christmas fairy" comes for a visit. One of us will say: "oh, my goodness, I think the fairy came, let's check the calendar!" Then the girls hurry to the tree (where the calendar is) to see what the note the fairy has left for them that day. Some days are simple (like today... "make brownies and sing Christmas songs"), where other days are more exciting ("go to Disneyland and see it snow"). And of course a few days are focused more on service and the spirit of Christmas. Here (above) is what we did on Friday night when the fairy paid a visit.
The girls raced to the calendar and then Katie read the note. They were so excited to get all cozy and go on a drive to see the lights.
Unfortunately, not too many people have decorated yet. However, the girls had fun anyway and that's what matters.
We sang the traditional Christmas songs (thanks to Kost 103.5). Then, all of a sudden, right when we pulled up to our house, our signature song came on. That's right folks. WHAM's famous song "Last Christmas (I gave you my heart, the very next day, you gave it away....)" You all know the one.

A few years ago Bryant did the performance of a life time at a Christmas Karaoke party. He sang that song and it will forever go down in history. The part where they sing: "This year To save me from tears I'll give it to someone special" The "special" part is always sung in a very cheesy whisper.
I might have to get it on video (with the added dance moves) for you to get the full effect. You won't be sorry. Until then, use your imagination.
cinnamon rolls as promised
On Saturday the note read: "go to a Christmas party and see Santa." So we did just that!
(yes, Katie has a new leg brace. and yes it is like a fourth child).

18 comments:

Jaime Rubio said...

What a fun tradition! I had something like that when I was a kid but it had little presents in instead! Can't wait to see what else is in there! Our Christmas Eve tradition was opening one present but it always was a new pair of PJ'S!!!!

Kim L. said...

I love it! I am STEALING it...however...WHERE did you find that CUTE calendar???? I MUST have it!!!! MUST! MUST! MUST! DO TELL!

Sarah Hull said...

Target my friend. Target.

Hess Fam said...

Funnest tradition. I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

Carrie said...

I think I remember that performance at the christmas karaoke! Good times! What a fun tradition.

kelly said...

why is it so easy to picture Bryant doing that song? I am laughing so hard!

Your advent idea is wonderful! I love it!

Christine Segura said...

I love your family picture at the top! It is beautiful and your kiddos are all growing up so fast. Carter is a doll, love those big eyes! I hope all is going well for you guys. It looks like it is. Merry Christmas! (I love saying that)
Segura Clan

Carrie Anne said...

know that song all too well...totally know the whisper part too...can TOTALLY imagine Bryant doing the performance of a lifetime with that song...why is he not our American Idol????
love the advent idea! i've always looked at those boxes & thought, "what should i do with that?" now i have a great idea thanks to YOU! what a super duper fun idea!

Joanna said...

You are super creative- wish I could take a glimpse into a creative mind like yours once in a while. I think it would be fun :).

Bobbi said...

Thanks, Sarah. Now I WILL have "Last Christmas" stuck in my head ALL STINKIN' DAY!!! Awesome tradition, by the way. I definitely need to do more fun things with my kids!

Laura said...

I love this idea. I may steal it. we do the advent calendar now but we take turns eating the candy inside. This would be a fun bonus. That song is hilarious. I am not gonna lie it is one of my favorites. I would really appreciate a Bryant Hull music video. :)

Jamie said...

Love the advent idea and love your gorgeous family pics!!

Erin said...

i love that you are doing it!!! WE totally had cinnimon rolls too. Yummy. I love your advent calendar- super cute white box. Love it. I am loving your family pic as well.

The Hull Family said...

I'm glad you have your tradition up and running. Looks like a ton of fun!! I just hope one of the notes the fairy leaves says: go caroling at your aunt Holly's house then stay for some christmas treats!!!

Melissa said...

Um, can I send my kids to live with you for awhile? They would probably be much better off and have a lot more fun!

jenni bishop said...

Can't wait for them to open Door #22! "Put on your tacky Christmas sweaters, hop in your car and drive on over to Alta Loma for some caroling and LOTS of lights!"

Unknown said...

Loving the pictures, loving the calendar, and loving your fourth child!!

Betsy said...

Cute idea... So, if you want to see lights, you shoudl live in Utah. Everyone puts them up in October because of snow, then as soon as Thanksgiving is over - WHAM they are all on! It's pretty impressive :)