Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The day that forever changed my life. Katie's story Part 4

By the end of June I had been given generous baby showers, had a home full of baby items and a HUGE stomach. I was ready to start the adventure of motherhood.

On the morning of June 20th (after going into labor two weeks earlier than planned), I was wheeled into the operating room where my life from that moment on would be forever changed.

They started the c-section and within minutes we heard a little cry. Bryant quickly stood up, looked over the blue sheet and saw our Katie for the first time. We were both crying tears of joy. The doctor asked Bryant if he would like to cut the cord and he jumped at the opportunity to get a closer look at our sweet baby. After a few minutes he came back to my side to report how beautiful she was. She was only in the O.R. a short time, as they had to hurry and wheel her off to the intensive care unit to prepare for surgery. I remember them quickly wheeling her past me, but my eyes were full of tears and my glasses were crooked (having my arms strapped down did not help the situation), so I did not get a good look.

I remember while I was in the recovery room having this wave of complete euphoria come over me, a happiness I had never experienced before. Some say it's hormones, but I say it's the pure joy of bringing a new child into this world.

A few hours after her birth she had her first surgery. This one was to close her back where the spinal cord was being exposed. The surgery went fairly well. However, when the doctor came in to talk to us, he said that the nerve damage was worse than they originally thought. He then said, she would never be able to walk. When he said those words, once again the peace came as well as a feeling like his words were not true. I was not even phased by what he said. A very humbling experience to look back on. You would imagine if you were just told that your child would not have the use of her legs and never be able to walk that it would be a bit traumatic. But not one tear. It was such a miracle to be blessed with that peace.

About 24 hours after her birth, I was able to go to the NICU where I saw my new baby for the first time. She was beautiful and has such sweetness about her, that I recognized from the pregnancy. She was still recovering from her surgery and had tubes and IV’s in her body, but when I started to talk to her she responded right away to my voice.I wanted so badly to just pick her up and hold her in my arms, but I knew that I would have to wait. I had been told earlier that I would probably have to wait at least a few days until I would be able to hold her. That was tough.

However, Katie seemed to recover so quickly. Her tubes were removed the day after surgery and by the second day she was responding so well that when I was visiting her, the nurse said to me, “would you like to hold your baby now?” I just cried and whispered “yes”. I honestly will never forget the feeling of holding Katie for the first time. My dreams of becoming a mom had come true. I was a mother. I was now responsible for this little life. That can be an overwhelming thought sometimes.

It has now been close to six years since that day I held Katie in my arms for the first time. I always say that motherhood can be a roller coaster of emotions and sometimes that ride can start from day one. I felt like I was prepared for the birth of Katie and what was to come, but no one could prepare me for the love that I have for her.

I feel so blessed to be Katie’s mother. I find it a privilege of living with a miracle. Within three short years she was walking with the help of braces and a walker. A task that we had been told would be impossible.

I will never say that this is an easy road to go down. We have hard days. Some harder than others. Like the day we found out Katie's bladder and kidneys were having complications and we'd have to start cathing every four hours (I had just given birth to Ella and now had two babies. I remember wondering if I could really do this and handle it), a task that we continue to do each and every day (one in which she will eventually learn to do herself for the rest of her life, or until science comes up with a new procedure).

I would never wish for anyone to experience having to hand your child over to a doctor as he takes them away to the operating room. We have had to do that a handful of times and each time is just as hard as the first. At 14 months when she went in for hip and pelvis surgery, leaving her in a body cast for 3 months. Then again at 18 months when they placed a shunt in her head to help drain the excess spinal fluid that was building up on her brain (that was the hardest and most scariest time of my life). Last, a surgery to remove the hardware from her hips and at the same time they did a minor surgery on her ankle.

These past six years have been life changing to say the least. We have spent many hours at doctors and therapists and in doing so have met some amazing people with courageous stories themselves. We have been put in a world that not all get to experience. A world where patience is tested, where miracles are witnessed and strength is gained.
To the doctor that said: “God did not deal you a good hand.” My response will forever be: “No, He dealt me a GREAT hand.”

28 comments:

EvaMarieva said...

Thank you for sharing your story. Katie is an amazing girl with such special parents. You are an example!

Carrie Anne said...

absolutely beautiful! that is incredibly awesome. tears, gina...tears all over the place! you are right, you are in a very unique situation & i appreciate your willingness to share.
those feelings of not being able to hold your baby as soon as they're born are so hard! and then hoping & waiting for them to be okay requires so much faith & courage...what an example of strength you are.

i was reading in my fitness mag & there was this 21 year old girl who had spina bifida who said she spent so much of her life feeling sorry for herself but then she learned how to do adaptive sports & feels awesome now. i instantly thought of katie...she is such a neat little girl who has the funnest personality & this light that people yearn to be near. what a special miracle that you have! i love that you view her as a miracle & as such a blessing. you are my hero!

joni said...

After we were at your house for the first time I told Aaron what an amazing mom you are! Heavenly Father truly put Katie in the perfect home to raise her.

Church Fam said...

I can feel your sweet spirit in your post. I love Katie's story as I am sure every mother does, we feel your amazing love. I need a tissue now for my tears.

Betsy said...

I read all of it and I love it - and I totally agree... You have a GREAT hand!

Leslie said...

Sarah, I am so glad that you shared Katie's story for all to see. It is beautiful. She is beautiful. She looks just like you and Ella looks like her daddy! Baby boy is darling too. Your family is simply adorable. I wish you were still in our ward so we could watch your kids grow. And so we could be influenced by your positive spirit. So glad the doctors were wrong!

Kellie said...

Seriously, Sarah, this was amazing. Thank you for sharing. I cried at every post and am amazed at your faith.

Ani said...

I loved hearing this story! You are such a good mom! She is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it. You are an excellent writer too!

ali said...

i just spent the last 15 minutes catching up on Katie's story. It is so beautiful. You are the perfect mom for her! She is so lucky to have you!

Megan said...

What a great story! She is a beautiful little girl and you are an amazing mother! I am in awe at your strength! What a blessing she is to all around her. You are right God didn't deal you a bad hand, he dealt you an AWESOME hand.

PS The picture of you holding Katie is so sweet. For a minute I thought it was your little sister!

Lindsay said...

I am totally crying. I just watched Sandy open her mission call (video) and now I just read this post. Wow. We've always know Katie is an amazing person. I loved reading her story and cannot wait for you to publish this. You have to send this in somewhere, it will inspire and give hope to so many.

Lindsay said...

On second thought, your blog is read by hundreds of people around the world. Maybe this is the best place for it. :)

The Godell Family said...

How blessed you are. Our family was blessed to have a special spirit of God be born into our home too. My sister had severe mental and physical retardation. But how blessed we were as a family to have her in our lives. The Lord knows which children should be placed in which homes. Katie was delivered to your home because he KNEW what a wonderful, caring, and understanding daughter you are. Keep up the good work!

Hess Fam said...

just like you couldn't see your beautiful baby beacuse of the tears...i can't see my computer screen!
Beautiful. You AND your story!

Bobbi said...

Oh Sarah, thank you so much for sharing your story! I have enjoyed reading every post. I read this last one as my kids were all hovering around me wondering what I was doing on the computer. I ended up reading it out loud to them as tears streamed down my face. It's such a beautiful story and you tell it so well. It was so fun to see you and your beautiful family last month at church. I feel like I know your kids from reading your blog, but it was neat to get to meet them in person! Katie truly is a special little girl and is so blessed to have such wonderful, loving parents. I agree with Carrie Anne. You definitely are a hero!!!

Reggs said...

I have a feeling that in the pre-existence, you and Katie chose each other. On the day she was born it seems like more of a "reunion" than a first meeting. :)
You must be so happy to have each other!!

Melissa said...

Thank you again for sharing. I feel so blessed to know you and Katie and you are a wonderful example to me. Thank you.

Ash and Christian said...

Thank you for posting this Sarah. Almost two years of friendship and I've never heard the whole story before.

You can't read this and deny that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. Not only is there beauty in your words, but in your daughter's face, in her mother's words, and in the spirit of your family and friends. Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful story with us.

Jenjenbug said...

I can't imagine having my baby rushed off to surgery right away, but I understand how hard it is not to get to hold your baby right away. Gavin was rushed off to the NICU right after birth with me only getting a glance at him because he had an unexpected respiratory infection that landed him in the NICU for four days. It was so hard to leave the hospital without my little one.

You seem like such a strong person and I admire you being able to look at the bright side. I don't know Katie that well, but she seems like a sweet girl when I see her in Primary.

sandy k. smith said...

I know I make fun of you and all your blogging friends for saying this, but really.. Tears. I seriously cannot see through my tears. I love you and I LOVE KATIE!

Jamie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing Katie's story. Thank you for being so amazing and for being such an example of faith. Reading this brought tears to my eyes...tears of joy and of the Spirit. You and your family are incredible!

Jill said...

Thank you for telling your story! It made me cry, just like everyone else! You have a beautiful family.

D-dawg said...

Thanks for sharing Sarah. Katie's story really touched my heart. You guys are awesome and your kids, so sweet. I love that post above with the hurt "yeg" and Ella being such a good sister.

michelle said...

Love these posts... Thanks for sharing. I think the attitude and peace you and Bryant have had since the very (in utero!) beginning is just incredible.

Emily said...

Wow, y'all are awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

There's a mansion reserved in heaven for you and Bryant. No doubt about it. I enjoyed reading every part of the story...it still continues. Katie is such a testimony builder. Thanks for sharing her with us all.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story!