Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

She's Alive and well!


Here is Sandy's e-mail from last week. For some reason it just did not go through, which obviously left us feeling nervous. Thankfully we got this one but are now missing this weeks. hmmm. Anyway, here is the latest. I sure do miss her, especially during the holidays but once again, I know she is in the right place doing the right thing.
Now, without further ado...

Hello dearest dear family! I hope you are still all doing well. I want to start this letter off with a shout out to one of my two favorite brothers, Steve! Happy Birthday tomorrow Steve!! You’ll be getting something from me in the mail shortly…lucky!
So, this week was awesome regardless of the typhoons and the floods and the what nots. Brother Elmor Legisma got baptized on Saturday!! He is the cutest man ever. He is sooo shy, but on his baptism day he was just radiating! He was so happy.
We found and started teaching a man named Jimmy last week. Our first lesson, his 95ish year old mom was sitting in on the lesson too. She would interrupt us in the middle of the lesson and say “taga saan kayo?”(where are you from). We’d stop the lesson and tell her where we were from. Then 2 minutes later…”taga saan kayo?” Then we’d tell her again and continue the lesson. Finally we just stopped answering her and then she’d turn to Jimmy and say “taga saan sila?(where are they from?)” I was trying so hard not to bust up laughing. Then she started asking us over and over who we were, why we were there, etc. And she’d grab the pamphlet out of my hand and start reading it outloud and stuff. At one point she asked me if I was a lady or a man. After I told her I was a lady, she asked me if I had a wife. ?! FINALLY we got through the lesson and Sister Manuel was saying the closing prayer. During her prayer, the lady started praying too in some weird language and that’s when I couldn’t stand it and started laughing so hard. I couldn’t help it. But, Jimmy let us come back and our next lesson, his mom was even worse! She was clapping and singing and asking a million questions that didn’t relate at all. She prayed again during the closing prayer, but I controlled myself this time. That lady is so funny.

Yes mom, people are still living in the church building. It keeps getting more crowded as the storms get worse. They all have their own food. They use the regular bathroom, and they just bucket shower outside with their clothes on.
Yes mom, I’m still drinking filtered water. My health is great.


No mom, I don’t need anything. But I got your package on Saturday with the pop tarts, etc. Mmmm thank you! I actually got a LOT of letters on Saturday. I couple from Mom, a few dear elders from Natalie, Shelley, Miles, and Kellie. Tell them all thank you and I love them. It’s so so so fun getting mail. I also got your Halloween decorations haha. I’ll save them for next Halloween. Keep printing Sarah's fun blogs and send them to me please! I love that. Sister Manuel loves Sour Patch Kids and Pop Tarts now. Next time you feel like putting a package together, throw in some Velveeta Mac n Cheese! Thank you.
Sister Manuel says Hi!

This Saturday is the Osio family’s baptism!! 6 of them will get baptized: Brother June, Sister Emee, Krismas(17 yrs), Kaye(15 yrs), Elaine(11 yrs), and Abby(8 yrs). The youngest, Herra, is only 7 years old. They also have 3 older sons who don’t live with them. Yesterday, one of the sons was visiting and he sat in on the lesson. It was their last official lesson before their baptism, so we all went around and bore our testimonies. All of the girls said something about how they’re so grateful for us and how we changed their family and how they’re glad that their dad quit smoking. When Sister Emee bore her testimony, she said she never thought she would actually change her religion, but she’s seen this gospel change their family and she knew that it was the true gospel. Brother June talked all about how many blessing they have received since they’ve started living according to the gospel standards. He said that his son(the one who was sitting in on the lesson) is a nurse and always told him to quit smoking, but he never did. Then he said that once we told him that it’s a commandment from Heavenly Father not to smoke, he knew he needed to stop. I thought that was cool. All of the doctors in the world could have told June to quit smoking, and he probably would’t have. Then, two young girls come and teach him the gospel and tell him to quit smoking and he stops. That man has so much faith. Yesterday at church, during Sunday school, he was answering questions and making comments. For sacrament meeting, we had the primary presentation, and Elaine, Abby, and Herra Osio were in it! They all had little parts to say up at the podium! I was so proud of them! Then all the primary was singing “I love to see the Temple” and I was staring at those 3 girls and bawling! All I could think about is how they’re “going there some day” to be sealed for eternity to their family and I have the extraordinary privilege to be a part of it. I can’t imagine not being here and witnessing all these beautiful miracles and changes in people’s lives.
Well, I’m so sorry that Grandma is not feeling well. I pray for her every night. I’m of course praying for all of you. I don’t have any crazy stories this week so I have time to bear my testimony. Here it is:

This church is true. I study the gospel every morning, and during my studies, I sometimes let out loud squeals of excitement because I get so excited about how true this gospel is. I have seen SO MANY of my prayers answered here. I have literally seen people begin to glow as their testimonies begin to increase and they come closer to their Savior. I know the Book of Mormon is true. Read it! Seriously, read it everyday. Nothing should be put before scripture study. I know that our Heavenly Father loves me so much and I know he loves all of you. Thank you all for your love and support. I love you so much.
Love,
Sister Smith
Sarah Side Note: Speaking of Book of Mormon.... If you read NieNie, then you have probably seen this. How awesome to get a personal letter from her and a copy of an amazing book!!

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I LOVE this... The gospel IS true and sandy is doing an amazing job sharing it.

Jamie said...

Glad she is doing well. What city is she serving in? Just wondering because a missionary from our ward (Karlson) is also serving in the Phillipines and is currently living at the church due to the floods.