Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Tradition!" (sung in my best Tevye impersonation)

What are You Thankful For?
I LOVE traditions!
(by the way if you don't know who Tevye is then click here)
As I have mentioned before, I come from a family who has carried traditions on for generations. I feel like traditions are what made the holidays so special for me as a child. Almost every holiday growing up there was a tradition associated with it.
With that said, I also believe that it's important to start our own family traditions. For example last year we started the advent Calendar Christmas fairy and it was a hit with the kids. So, now that Thanksgiving is here, I am wanting to start our own Thanksgiving traditions.... but I am coming up blank. So, I thought I'd turn to my faithful blogging friends and ask for some ideas.
What are some of your Thanksgiving traditions?

While you're thinking, here is a recipe and a craft that I thought I'd share... since it's like a give and take. You share with me your traditions and I'll give you a recipe and a craft idea.

Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies--I got this super easy recipe from The Friend magazine this month

1 boxed spice cake mix
1 small can (15 ounces/425 g) pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie filling)
1 bag (12 ounces/340 g) semisweet chocolate chips, regular- or mini-sized

  • 1. Wash your hands. (i love that this is the first step)

  • 2. Preheat the oven to 325˚F (163˚C).

  • 3. Pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Add the pumpkin, and mix until the two ingredients are combined.

  • 4. Stir in the chocolate chips.

  • 5. Use a teaspoon to scoop a spoonful of batter. Use your finger to drop the batter onto a cookie sheet.

  • 6. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes.

7. While the cookies are cooking and cooling, decorate some small paper sacks. You could draw and color autumn leaves or use stickers to decorate them. Then put some cookies in each sack and fold down the top of the sack. Punch two holes at the top. Thread ribbon or string through the holes and tie a bow. Now take the sacks to some neighbors for a Thanksgiving treat.

Also, here's a cute and simple craft the kids can do to help get the table nice and festive....

Button Indian Corn Napkin Rings

instructions on how to make these cute Button Indian Corn Napkin Rings HERE

I thought these were also cute to make and could be used as place cards too. Directions HERE

4 comments:

Megan said...

For Thanksgiving, I am pretty lame. We make a "Thankful" banner and hang it up. We just write down on leaves or pumpkins what we are thankful for and string them together. Nothing too exciting!

Good luck!

Joanna said...

What cute ideas! We ourselves are having a string of "firsts" with our little Jet and I'd love to be forming some family traditions. :) I'm SO big on tradition -especially during the holidays. Down to the song we listen to in the car after picking out our christmas tree (always at home depot) the saturday after Thanksgiving! lol. It has to happen just that way! That was a big one growing up and I can't wait to do that with Jet. Once again we have something in common! :) That's why my family is always tiptoeing around me whenever they change something! lol. I can't wait to try the cookie recipe! I LOVE all things pumpkin (as we have both mentioned before. lol.)

Melissa said...

Pilgrims and Indians! We make pilgrim hats and Indian necklaces and vests. The kids choose what they want to be and wear it to Thanksgiving and we talk about the first Thanksgiving.
We also watch the Thanksgiving day parade while making whatever it is we need to make Thanksgiving morning.

Jamie said...

My family tradition was just that we'd go around the table during Thanksgiving dinner and say things we were thankful for.
I'm starting a new tradition though, that my friend shared with me. At the beginning of November, they have an FHE on gratitude then they each color a picture of a pilgrim or turkey. Then each day until Thanksgiving they add a chain link with something they are grateful for. (Basically opposite of a chain-link countdown.) Each year she writes down the lists because kids are grateful for the cutest things!