Last week was my six week recovery mark. "They" all said it would take a full six week recovery to really feel great. They were right.
Around that six week mark, things started happening.
I started to feel amazing!
LIKE SO GOOD!!
Around that six week mark, things started happening.
I started to feel amazing!
LIKE SO GOOD!!
So Good, I might have gotten carried away and signed myself up for a
5K on Thanksgiving morning!
I don't even know who I am anymore!
I know this is nothing special to the majority of you marathon runners, but this is new for me and I am excited.
So, I decided I had better start training.
Today I ran around the block.
Well, I actually walked and then ran. I was home in five minutes and Bryant said "wow, that was fast!"
easy buddy.
easy buddy.
But the point is that I ran and where I used to hurt (where that big ol' uterus was) did not hurt. yay for that!
But a few other things did hurt.
And I think I need to go shopping for some more support.
The support you can buy, if you catch my drift.
Another issue I am having is my running shoes give me blisters the size of... well, the size of really big blisters.
So, you runners out there, can you give me some good advice?
Here is what I need help with.
1. Support (I wore two sport you -know- whats and it still did not do the job)
2. running shoes. is there one pair that is better than the other?
3. I want to put a good running app on my phone that tracks my pace, what one should I get?
I've got seven weeks people, to go from walk/running around the block to running a 5k.
I'm getting a side ache just thinking about it!




14 comments:
Sarah, I am by all means NO PRO (just look at me), but here's what I've learning from a husband who is an avid runner and a daughter that is just as insane.
1- There is a great couch to 5k program that you can find online that will help you with your training. It tells you day by day how much to walk and how much to run to get you to a point where you can run the whole 5k. Just Goggle couch to 5k.
2- Asics and Saucony's have been the best for their feet, as far as shoe recommendations. Go to Runner's High on 2nd street and they have a machine that will evaluate your foot and they can tell you which shoe is best for you. (But buy elsewhere because they are super pricey!) Take in your old shoes and they can tell from your tread also.
3- Water, water, water. The more water you drink...the better your body will feel. And if your legs get sore take an ice bath!
Good luck!! I envy what you are doing...I have a LOOOONG way to go to be able to do that.
Gosh, you're the second or third person I know that is doing a 5k. Maybe I should sign up for one too.
I'm not much help, as far as apps or sports "things" go. But I totally echo Amy-sue's advice about the shoes. They also have a Runner's High on Stearns & Palo Verde. (Kitty corner to Del Taco in the little strip mall) At least it was there a few months ago. I love Asics. (they are a Japanese brand & one of our clients - so I get mine at cost) I have seen Asics at TJ Maxx & Marshalls. (as long as you don't care about the model/color since there isn't a lot of variety.) I hear good things about Saucony and Ryka too.
Good for you!!!!!!!
Good luck!!!!
road runner sports is great they totally got me the perfect shoe...they have a special machine to fit you...my opinion skip the inserts...have been to runners high but they didn't have a machine when i was there...good luck...i signed up for the turkey trot but will probably walk more than run!
Sarah I am so excited for you!! I will warn you though...after you finish your first 5k you just might get addicted!! Here is my advice:
1.Sorry I can't help in the "support" department, I've just never had that issue (wish I did!)
2. Shoes...so important! From my experience Saucony's have been the best for me. I went to a running store (the one in redlands) where they watched me run then based on my running style they gave me a few options to choose from. The right shoes are so important, and to me I don't care what the cost. Another shoe tip: sometimes new running shoes (especially the right pair) will make your shins and/or calfs hurt the first couple of times wearing them, that is ok, your body is just adjusting to actually running correctly.
3. Don't forget to stretch before and after, even if you do just run around the block! Take it from someone who has dealt with a few runner's injuries, stretching makes a huge difference!
4. Don't run on an empty stomach and drink a lot of water! If you need a fuel belt, I know someone who could get you one!!
I am so excited for you, I can't wait to hear more about your training!
All I have to say is, "YOU GO GIRL!"
I am so excited for you! If it wasn't Thanksgiving morning, and I didn't have a baby to nurse, I would totally sign up with you!
Go to a running store that watches you run and then recommends a shoe-it makes all the difference in the world. I went to A Snail's Pace, but there is probably one closer to you. And yes, you can find the same show much cheaper elsewhere(online!) They will probably have a solution to your support problem too, I don't have much to support so unfortunately it is not much of a problem for me! I use Jeff Galloway training-don't feel like you have to run the whole time! http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html
Have fun, and be warned running is addictive!
I don't have one of these, but I've been tempted to get one. My sister-in-law is a big runner and she just had a baby. She was on the lookout for an awesome sports bra (especially since she's nursing--she needs the support!) and she likes this one: http://www.movingcomfort.com/ She calls it her over the shoulder boulder holder. :) Good luck! and good for you!
You will KISS the ground I walk on after I tell you about this sports bra. It will change your LIFE as far as exercise goes.
http://www.enell.com/
My MIL gave me one of hers and those suckers DO. NOT. MOVE. I promise you will NOT be sorry. I call it the Chastity Bra because it's big and ugly and has 5 million hooks, but I cannot say enough about how much I love it. Check them out. You can run and jump and not even move a bit in this bra. I seriously see girls running down the street and want to scream to them, "Enelllllll!!!"
PS- if it doesn't gross you out you can totally borrow mine to try it out.
Sarah, I am normally just a blog stalker but I have to recommend my favorite "supportive" device. I love enell! I noticed you have another commenter recommending it. It has changed my world. It is ugly and huge but you will not have a single jiggle!
IM DYING ABOUT ENELL! THANK YOU. I WILL NOW TRY IT.
SARAH SO PROUD OF YOU! I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT YOU BREAKING THE TAPE ON THIS 5K! I BELIEVE IN YOU!
LOVE THAT YOUR FEELING GREAT. AFTER THIS BABY IT'S GOING TO BE MY TURN TO DO A TURKEY TROT!
You are the funniest Sarah! I love you and I am so proud of you, you are going to do great!
I have ran for a long time, and I too, get asked a lot of questions, to many I don't know. But I do know that great things happen when you run...you think, you decide on things, things that work and you learn to listen to your body and what works, and you get better. I always hear, I am not fast, or I am not good at running....you don't have to be, you can run your best and just try, that is what is awesome about running, it's a great sport. Training is amazing and so much fun. I love to "up" my miles weekly, and know that I did that!!!
You will be great, and I too am proud of you.
I started running 5 minutes then resting, and eventually it just happens, something clicks and you don't want to stop....this is why I own a double jogger, I take my kids with me. Shoes are key, I love Brooks, they fit amazing and are so light! Ask about zero(ing) the sole, it makes you run as if you are barefoot, it forces you to run properly.
Marathons are in your future, I just know it!
I am hoping I don't sound creepy, I promise I am not, but running is such a big part of my life.
This is going to go down in the history books. Can't waaait! Proud of your courage my sister. Very proud.
Post a Comment