Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Getting Ready for the Advent Christmas Fairy

Darling baby sock advent calendar here
 For the past three years we have been doing the advent calendar Christmas fairy.  Each day in December leading up to Christmas the Christmas fairy comes for a visit and leaves us a note in our advent calendar. The note explains the activity for the day. The kids have enjoyed this tradition so much and it really helps us to get into the holiday spirit. 


We are really looking forward to the advent fairy coming again this year. This weekend Bryant and I are sitting down and making our list of advent activities to fill up our calendar. We first fill in the days that we already have something planned, since it makes those days super easy (the city's Christmas parade, family parties, primary party, etc..). Next we will fill in the rest of the days. One reason I love blogging so much is using it as a reference for times like these. I have documented the past three years in advent fairy activities so it makes it easier to compile the list this year.
Here are a few ideas and blog posts from years past: 


Act out Luke 2
Learn the words to a Christmas Song
Write letters to Santa
Read the First Presidency Christmas message and enjoy a treat
RING and RUN (hysterical) 
Christmas Pajama party 
Watch a new Christmas movie and eat popcorn
Christmas Bingo 
The Greatest Gift of all Family Devotional
Christmas "tea" party
Dance Party and more
Decorate Gingerbread Men 
Walk the Live Nativity and then make crepes 
Visit a Convalescent Home and take treats 
Christmas Caroling (with a twist-see video) Friends  
Disneyland 
Walk around Naples to see the lights 
Be Secret Elves for the day (quite the adventure)


Do you do the Advent Calendar and if so what are some activities you will be doing this year? 

5 comments:

Jill said...

My advent fairy went on vacation last year... and I'm afraid she's moving this year. Can your advent fairy come visit my house this year? Those kids are lucky to have you! Fun seeing you today.

Peck Family said...

mamma is ready this year. im excited for it.

Erin said...

i love that you do this! have so much fun doing it. I cant wait to do this with little ones someday.

Sally said...

Like the advent calendar and my activity will be shredding the slopes with YOU!

matthew85 said...

Hey Sarah,

My name is Tara and i'm 26 years old and I have SB. I came across Katie's pic one day when i was bored browsing through pics in United By SB on facebook and ended up on your blog. I just wanted to tell you that you are one AWESOME mom and you are doing an awesome job with Katie. You remind me so much of my mom and all the fun stuff we used to do when i was younger. Your family looks so fun!

I also got involved with wheelchair sports when i was 9 years old and track and field and swimming were a huge part of my life for over 12 years. I'm not currently involved because work consumes a lot of my time but i want to get involved again soon. It sounds like you have her involved in a great program. I just wanted to give you a little bit of info in case you wanted to get her involved in more competitive natured sports through Wheelchair Sports USA(if you haven't heard of them yet). The team I grew up doing sports through would go to regional meets for track and field and various other sports such as swimming to qualify for junior nationals which are held in a different city and state every year(the national junior disability championships NJDC). There are kids up to age 21 that come from all over the country and even internationally that have all different kinds of physical disabilities and compete with kids in there same age group and ability level. I went to junior nationals for over 10 years and made a ton of friends through competing and also gained a whole new level of independence from being around other kids similar to me(it looks like Katie is already super independent which is AWESOME). I even had the oppportunity through the NJDC to go to Australia and compete in their junior nationals which was an amazing opportunity

I also noticed you were at the national SB conference this summer. I was also there and have been to a few conferences in past years. I wish i had stumbled upon your blog sooner because i would have loved to meet you and Katie! I'm also a huge Disney fanatic so i was at Disneyland every day since it was my firtst time going! (13 time WDW veteran)


Anyway i don't even know what really brought me to message you, i just wanted to tell you that it's great to see someone raising their child with SB as a normal kid(as they should be raised just like my mom did with me) and finding so many great opportunities for them!

Tara


(i sent you a message on Facebook but sometimes the messages get eaten by FB when the message isn't from someone on your friend's list)